‘No Matter the Weather, Staying Active is Better’
We as a school came up with our Active School Slogan
There are 4 key areas to the ‘Active Schools’ Programme –
Our physical education lessons, physical activity at other times of the day, getting everyone involved and having an Active Schools Week.
As an Active School We:
- Provide all pupils with a minimum 60 minutes timetabled P.E per week.
- Provide twice daily playground breaks for all classes.
- Provide a balanced amount of teaching time to all P.E Strands.
- As staff use the PSSI (Primary School Sports Initiative) and the ‘Move Well, Move Often’ resources to guide the delivery of the P.E Curriculum.
- Teach the Land PAWS Water Safety Programme.
- Provide an Active School Walkway to promote physical activity and cross-curricular online.
- Work with a number of local sports partnerships. Our school works with organizations such as Foxrock Cabinteely GAA Club, Cabinteely Football Club, Leinster Rugby, Basketball Ireland, Hockey Ireland, Bar Monkey, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Sports Partnership
- Provide an Active Sports Week with activities such as GAA, Tennis, Rounders, Basketball, Hockey, Skipping, Athletics, Obstacle Courses, and Martial Arts.
- Encourage students to walk, run, or cycle to school.
- Encourage movement breaks throughout the school day.
- Participate in events that encourage students to become more physically active. We have participated in the Daily Mile Run to Paris and the Run Around Ireland Initiative.
- Have an active school board to inform and engage students in topics around physical education.
The Active School Flag is a Department of Education and Skills initiative and is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The process aims to get more schools, more active, more often.
Our Lady of Good Counsel GNS is aiming to achieve an active flag by improving the ‘Physical Education, Physical Activity and Partnerships’ within our school.
To learn more about the Active School Flag initiative, visit their website –